Pinterest

pinterest-site-verification=36e5e61a0a19bbf109eceb6b444d911d

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Foot N Mouth Disease

After gaining my B.N. I wasn't sure which specialty was right for me.
I went to work in Theatre (surgery) in a Catholic hospital in northern Queensland.
This was an eyeopener to me, as much of the language from the staff during the operations, was less than desirable.
I said nothing,and neither did I laugh at some of the grouse jokes being told.
One morning after I'd been there for a few weeks, there was a lull in the conversation. 

A radio played softly for a time and then one of the surgeons asked me.
"So Crystal, how come you went to the Catholic University?"  (It was hundreds of miles away from this town.)  
What does one answer to a question like this?
The reason, the real reason I had gone there was because the nursing program was known as the best.
However, now that the question was put to me during the middle of a patient having their veins stripped, I was taken by surprise.
So I answered quietly, "Well,..... maybe I am an ex-nun?"
Silence... complete silence followed my statement.
They were all stunned with shock!
Here they were in a Catholic hospital, swearing and telling inappropriate jokes, and I had heard them!
Before I could say it was just a joke, they all began to apologies to me.
"Crystal, I'm so sorry," said the head nurse.
One of the doctors told me, "I go to church every Sunday."
One by one, they gave me a glowing report of themselves.

How could I deflate their ego's?
So I said nothing, I kept silent.
My life became one of a celebrity....
All sorts of goodies came into our staff dining room to share around, and all because of me.

After a few more weeks I decided this wasn't my forte`.
So I left there to go back to Brisbane (our Capitol) and The Royal Brisbane Hospital.
Here I completed a Post Graduate Degree in Mental Health in conjunction with Queensland University of Technology..
I'm sure the staff in that other hospital never ever forgot the bomb that dropped one day in theatre, when they least expected it.

 "But among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity, or of greed, because these are improper for God’s holy people. 
Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking, which are out of place, but rather thanksgiving. For of this you can be sure: No immoral, impure or greedy person—such a man is an idolater—has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.
Ephesians 5:3-5

                                                  Crystal R.N.  and   Friend  (University facilitator)

20 comments:

  1. Good for you! That was a great way to get them to check their language without heaping condemnation on them. And, the goodies were a nice blessing, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Crystal, You did change the atmosphere in that operation room! I am an ex-nun from long years year ago and have posted about the convent. So if you ever want some ammunition. Just go to the topic "The Convent" on my blog!

    Peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you had lots of laughs... I'll share another like this in a future Blog.

      Delete
  3. Great post, Crystal... That was a great way to get those surgeons (and people in the operating room) to THINK about the language that they were using... I have always heard of crazy things --including music---going on in the operating room. Yipes!!!!!

    I have some good friends who live in Brisbane. One is a blogger and one is not. Great folks though...

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Betsy, Would love to meet and greet your friends from here in Oz. Actually, Theatre is a great place to work..... much does go on behind the scenes..

      Delete
  4. It's just as well that you let it go, as I am sure it gave everybody something to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Strange that people really do know what is right and wrong and get convicted in the presence of a believer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! What a STORY, Sister Crystal--grin! I might not have made it here tonight, had you not stopped by, and said "Hi". Thanks for your wise comment.

    Hey, why did you go to Catholic University? God's message to those 'Theater' peeps, was sent through you, with your response.

    Thank you SO much, Nurse-Girl!
    PEACE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL... I have to laugh, its good for the soul. Anyhow, You have the Sister part right. My professional name is Sister Lindsey. In Australia an R.N. is known as Sister, although its fading out now as we become more modern.. Us oldies stay they same.

      Delete
  7. Hello my friend.
    Good story, but on a more serious note though, crude jokes and bad language make me uncomfortable. I have found that people seem to change their language once they find out you're a christian, they sort of become embarrassed if you know what I mean?
    Blessings Crystal Mary, Geoff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Geoff, they think all is hidden from God? Hopefully they soon realise,that nothing is.

      Delete
  8. Hi Chrystal,

    Well done, I enjoyed reading this blog. Thank you for your visit and keeping me and my family in your thoughts and prayers.

    God Bless - Nita

    ReplyDelete
  9. My son is a doctor and he hates the way when he was in med school the way some doctors talked.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great story!! I had a good laugh and then thought what a lesson you must have been to the people in that hospital. :) xx

    ReplyDelete

Please take the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading your replies. Often you encourage or teach me something I need to know. Life is full of wonderful surprises, so go ahead and AMAZE me today.

Dio ti ama così siamo connessi.