Pinterest

pinterest-site-verification=36e5e61a0a19bbf109eceb6b444d911d

Friday, October 5, 2012

SKUNKS -

Living in TN was my first experience ever, with the smell of skunk.
WOW!! That Smell !!
Ray didn't say anything about it, and at first I didn't like to ask him what it was.
Ladies, are suppose to be well mannered and not talk about such things.
When I couldn't resit any longer, I asked, and he told me..
Perhaps he thought we had them in Australia and I would know?

One day while driving along a deserted road on our way to a funeral, Ray stopped the SUV and hopped out.  He wanted to surprise me, and came back with three tiny gorgeous little creatures.
Informing me they were baby skunks and that some people reared them as pets, he told me how their scent glands were removed to prevent problems. But at this young age he assured me.... they didn't spray.

Of course, I believed everything I was told, after all, Ray was an American, so he knew...
Or did he?

He let the babies go in some undergrowth and got back into the drivers seat.....
ALONG WITH THAT SMELL.
Oh no!
It was getting late for our appointment, so we had to continue on.

Outside in the graveyard, the smell wasn't as evident.
But when we went back to the house of the family, it was!

I sat on a lounge with a sweet lady I had just met, while Ray mingled.
Every now and again, someone tentatively wriggled their nose and remarked, "I can smell skunk."
I could hardly keep a straight face.
I'm one of those people who laugh at almost everything..
Finally one of the men cottoned on and asked sternly, "Where have you been Raymond?"
I finally burst out laughing..
And then, the good thing was so did many others when they learnt what he had done.

Seeing this beautiful picture on Facebook, brought the memory flooding back.


A Sweet Fragrance

2 Corinthians 2: 14-16
"Now wherever we go he uses us to tell others about the Lord and to spread the Good News like a sweet perfume.
Our lives are a fragrance presented by Christ to God. But this fragrance is perceived differently by those being saved and by those perishing.
To those who are perishing we are a fearful smell of death and doom. But to those who are being saved we are a life-giving perfume."

16 comments:

  1. I've heard that skunks are the only wild creatures that seem to develop a true affection for humans that lasts into adulthood. I Don't know if that's true or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's too funny, Crystal. I've been to America, but never encountered a skunk or its smell. Reading about it here it probably enough for me! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh,.. and where did you live in Tennessee? My writing buddy is from Loretto, Lawrenceburg. :)

      Delete
    2. Hi Dotti, I lived in East Tennessee...a town named Rogersville. Davey Crockett's grandparents are buried in a small cemetery in the town. They were massacred by (Cherokee) Indians. Davey's cabin was about 40miles away at Greenville. Rogersville is one of the oldest towns it was established in 1796. I worked at the local hospital to begin and then I went to Home Nursing. I had a wonderful church family. They are the best singers!! I must go back to visit again soon.

      Delete
  3. Dear Crystal Mary, I don't know much about skunks, even though I was raised in the country (in Missouri). But I do know the odor and it's pungent! I don't know why, but I never knew you lived in the United States before moving "down under." I'd surely be interested in stories about what happened that brought about the move. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dee, I am Australian and met Ray from TN on-line. We conversed via video phone for about 4 months and then I informed him I'd be attending a convention in Chicago, he asked if he could meet me. I toured the U.S. and then we married, or I'd have had to return back to Oz. Its been 8yrs now. He was never going to move here, until his first visit and then he couldn't wait to retire. I lived 3yrs and worked in TN. Now we live in Queensland and take trips back. Ray loves the lade back Ozzie (its alright mate) lifestyle and the weather here.

      Delete
  4. They are pretty little guys.. There are quite a few skunk road kill around where I live. Very noticeable smell LOL It is good for your hubby he was not asked to go outside. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL it was good for me that I didn't touch or hold them..LOL I usually want to cuddle little things.

      Delete
  5. lol.. I can just see it now.. You cracked me up.. That is a smell that's hard to get rid of.. I live near a little creek and every spring they come down the creek bank and they've literaly kept me in the house all day with the smell..lol..Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so funny... I remember once when the dogs ran in the house after being sprayed. I was sitting at the computer with my back to them and couldn't smell it. When I did, I hunted them out. Later Ray was washing them with cans of tomato's...What a mess. LOL

      Delete
  6. What a sweet and lovely post. I wish I could see them too with my own eyes:) they are so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Crystal Mary,
    No way am I picking up a skunk, even if their scent glands are removed.
    Blessings,
    Ken

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Crystal Mary,
    This was such a cute story! It is skunk season here in Michigan, the skunks are running about getting ready to go into a type of hibernation where they sleep in a den, but leave to empty their scent gland once each day. My brother raised skunks when I was very small, but my mother still never let me hold them for some reason. I think they are one of the prettiest animals we have here in the states. I am curious about what one of your commentors said about their loyalty to humans...It would be interesting to research. I have heard of folks feeding them on their porch each day and never getting sprayed. They do carry that smell regardless of whether they spray or not, however.
    ~God Bless~ Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Crystal Mary, thanks for sharing this fun story! lol God bless x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Crystal Mary, sweet friend,
    Oh! I really love this story. I am an animal lover and advocate.
    I hope you return back to TN one day with Ray.
    I would love to meet you there one day, if you wish...
    Thank you for sharing your lovely stories and pictures!
    I truly enjoy visiting your most wonderful blog.
    God may bless you all!
    Warm Hugs,
    Poet Starry.

    ReplyDelete

Please take the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading your replies. Often you encourage or teach me something I need to know. Life is full of wonderful surprises, so go ahead and AMAZE me today.

Dio ti ama così siamo connessi.