Pinterest

pinterest-site-verification=36e5e61a0a19bbf109eceb6b444d911d

Wednesday, April 28, 2021

How Amazing is life in the Twenty-First Century .

 My Grandmother, Annie A Charles (nee Cozens). 1914.


My mother Emilie, and her grandfather Evan Cozens (91) era 1920. 



Yes, how amazing is it to look back on real people, family and life from the past.

Wouldn't they be shocked to see how advanced we have become, and so quickly.

I was born at the end of 1944...

My parents and siblings, I was the babe in arms, conceived and born after my father returned home from 3 years in the 2nd WW. He was traumatised for a long time. 


My mother sewed all of our clothes on a TREDLE SEWING MACHINE. I remember her singing hymns as she happily sewed.  


I am 4 years old in this photo, wearing a waisted skirt my mother made from old curtains. 


My elder brother bought the first car we owned in 1960. It was a 1938 Brick, his pride and joy.

At 15 yrs I sewed the skirt I wore.  Girls today are not as shy and naïve as I was then. 



All washing was done in a laundry shed at the back of our home. Water boiled in a wood fueled copper got ladled by hand into a hand pumped washing machine. See the handle on the right. It would be pumped up and down to wash the clothes. No need to go to the Gym in those days, the work kept you slim. I can still see my mother working that handle. She never complained believing to be blessed to have it.  


Finally all the washing hung on two long lines strung between poles. The sun and breeze was our drier. Washing took the whole day to complete. 



       I don't like clothes driers and still hang my washing out in the sun to dry. 

OH, and if you wanted photographs, then they were taken by a hand camera with a film inside. When the amount of photos allowed were taken, the film was removed and taken to a chemist for development. You waited anxiously for a couple of days to see them. Often many weren't worth keeping so even though they cost to be seen, some were thrown away. 


With all the advanced in technology today, and with less time needing to wait, people still complain and are not happy. 



GOD IS SO GOOD TO US. 

 






  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please take the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading your replies. Often you encourage or teach me something I need to know. Life is full of wonderful surprises, so go ahead and AMAZE me today.

Dio ti ama così siamo connessi.